5.1.11

Feed the birds

Super, this conservatory. Although it is too cold at the mo to sit in it, it serves as a good buffer to keep away the cold from the living room windows. And I can spy on the birds with my camera in hand and not have them fly away.
So far the ground has been covered with snow the past two weeks and the little ones are very hungry. I've put out loads of food. There's something for everyone. I've got a little house filled with seeds, some netted grease balls with nuts, some slices of bread on the ground for the bigger lads.
They were a bit slow at first to find it all, but after a day or two I've seen some regulars. The list so far is made up of the usual suspects:

- Crows (Corvus corone)
- Pigeons (don't know what kind, not into pigeons)
- Jays (Garrulus glandarius)
- Blackbirds (Turdus merula)
- House Sparrows (Passer domesticus)
- Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)
- Robins (Erithacus rubecula)
- Great Tits (Parus major)
- Blue Tits (Cyanistes caeruleus)

I haven't seen a Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) yet. I did see a Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) swoop down about 3 meters from me while I was behind my desk in the kitchen. It had caught another bird and started plucking right away. Spectacular.

No comments: