13.4.12

Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Luytens

I just can't help myself. I ordered another book just before the Easter weekend and it was here on Tuesday.
In light of the commemorations of the start of the First World War I'm sure I'm going to be doing some guided tours here and there, so to brush up on post-war building I am going to use Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Luytens by architect Jeroen Geurst [OIO Publishers].

The book first of all puts Luytens work in the Interbellum context and then deconstructs every aspect of the cemeteries. From the shapes of the headstones to the trees and landscape layout.

The second part of the book is an alphabetical listing of most cemeteries with their most distinguishing features, 2D layouts (hurrah!) and 3D maps.
It has a very neat lay out, the book is decked out with nice pictures and the author's discourse is very clear and straight to the point.
The format is pretty practical to take with you to look something up if on site, albeit it being a good 470 pages.

No comments: