4.6.08

Podictionary

I am one of those thousands of listeners who listen to Charles Hodgson's voice every day. I have always found his podcast Podictionary very entertaining and informative. Sometimes it makes me snigger, sometimes it makes me wonder and sometimes I go: 'Ooh, I didn't know that'.
Having a logophile recount the origin of a word and how its usage changed through centuries is not a dry, ex cathedra way of gaining knowledge but a most refreshing, agreeable way of learning.
History can be very silly and anecdotal at times and this is what makes podictionary worth listening to.

Subscribe today if you haven't done already.

When Charles was plugging his first book last year, I pre-ordered it at Amazon and am now a proud owner of Carnal Knowledge: A Navel Gazer's Dictionary of Anatomy, Etymology and Trivia.
So I could say Charles' etymology empire, as he likes to call it, has already annexed a few centimeters of my bookshelf space and on another continent at that!

I think it quite wonderful that someone puts a lot of time and effort into a daring enterprise and is able to make a career out of it, even though his bankbook says it's a hobby. So this little plug, on my humble blog, may not amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world, but it is my way of saying: Thank you Charles!

I wish you all the best and a bright future for all of your wordy escapades, I am looking forward to the new book.

So I enlist in the empire's army and hope for citizenship and a patch of land upon my return!

No comments: